Traveling between Bangladesh and India has become increasingly convenient over the years, with various transport options available to choose from. Train services are the most popular and preferred means of transportation for passengers between the bustling capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka, and the vibrant cultural capital of West Bengal, India, Kolkata.
Dhaka-Kolkata Train Service
The train service between Dhaka and Kolkata is a joint venture between Bangladesh and India, aimed at promoting cross-border connectivity and building friendly relations between the two neighboring countries. This rail service not only provides an efficient and comfortable means of travel but also allows travelers to witness the diverse landscapes and cultural richness that both countries have to offer.
Dhaka To Kolkata Train Schedule
Dhaka-Kolkata train services usually operate on specific days of the week, giving passengers multiple options to plan their journey.
- Maitree Express: This is the most popular and widely used train service between Dhaka and Kolkata. It operates on four days a week – Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The train departs from Dhaka Cantonment railway station at 8:15 AM (Bangladesh time) and arrives at Kolkata’s Chitpur station at 6:10 PM (Indian Standard Time).
- Bandhan Express: This is another train service that connects Dhaka and Kolkata. As of September 2021, it operated on Thursdays and Sundays. Departing from Kolkata’s Chitpur station at 7:10 AM (Indian Standard Time), the train reaches Dhaka Cantonment railway station at 6:00 PM (Bangladesh time).
Dhaka To Kolkata Train Ticket Price
Dhaka-Kolkata train service ticket price depends on the class of travel and availability. Booking your tickets in advance is essential, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your seat and get the best fares. The train usually offers different classes and ticket prices differ accordingly. Available classes of Maitree Express and Bandhan Express may include:
- AC First Class: This class provides a comfortable and luxurious experience, with spacious cabins and individual berths. As of September 2021, the ticket price for AC First Class ranged from BDT 6,000 to BDT 7,500.
- AC Chair Car: The AC Chair Car class offers air-conditioned seating arrangements, providing a comfortable journey. The ticket price for this class was approximately BDT 3,600 to BDT 4,500 .
- Non-AC Chair Car: This class provides seating arrangements without air conditioning, offering a more economical option for travelers. The ticket price for Non-AC Chair Car was approximately BDT 2,500 to BDT 3,000.
- Snigdha: Snigdha is a popular choice for many travelers, offering air-conditioned compartments with sleeping berths. The ticket price for Snigdha class was approximately BDT 5,000 to BDT 6,000.
Dhaka To Kolkata Train Ticket Booking
Ticket booking for Dhaka-Kolkata train service can be done online and through designated counters at railway stations. Passengers can visit official websites of Bangladesh Railway and Indian Railway to check schedule, availability and ticket prices. Online booking portals like IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) and authorized travel agencies can also facilitate ticket booking. As demand for Dhaka-Kolkata train services can be high, especially during the peak tourist season, it is advisable to book tickets in advance to avoid any last minute inconvenience.
Important Travel Information
Visa Requirements: Passengers planning to use the train service between Dhaka and Kolkata should be aware of the visa requirements of both countries. Make sure you have the appropriate visa and necessary travel documents before booking your ticket.
Customs and Immigration: The journey involves crossing the international border between Bangladesh and India, so expect customs and immigration checks at both ends. Be prepared with valid identification and travel documents.
Baggage Allowance: Each traveler is generally allowed a certain amount of baggage and restrictions may apply. Familiarize yourself with the baggage allowance policy of the train service before your journey.
Safety and security: Trains are generally a safe and secure mode of transport, but it is always wise to be careful with your belongings and keep them safe during the journey.
Traveling by train from Dhaka to Kolkata is an exciting and culturally rich experience. The itinerary allows you to witness the beauty of both Bangladesh and India while creating memorable moments. With comfortable and affordable travel options, the Dhaka-Kolkata train service has become a preferred choice for many travelers looking for an unforgettable cross-border adventure. Always remember to check the latest timetables, ticket prices and other essential travel information before starting your journey. Plan ahead, book your tickets in advance and get ready for an incredible train journey that bridges the gap between two vibrant countries.